stolen comment

"as i get older i find it more important to keep in touch with my primary schoolmates, not so much with my high school friends. there's something a lot more entertaining about seeing them all as adults now; the last time we spoke they were all just on the cusp of entering the 'awkward phase' of puberty. i'm fascinated with how some of them have turned out... the hyperactive loner is a doctor in illinois, the quiet bookworm is now a quiet lesbian librarian, the outspoken, self assured valley girl is a suburban mother of two. i suppose with the high school classmates i already saw too much adult in them; i'm happy that facebook and the like allow me to know they're alive and well, but i'm not too interested in reliving the "good old days" (which seemed at the time to be the worst). i think the good old days were certainly those when we were smart enough to interact with each other honestly but still too naive to understand why we felt the things we did."


I stole this excellent anonymous comment from a momus post. Am I a baddie?

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could be in a position where I could find it "entertaining" to meet people, unfortunately things seem to always be more fraught than that.
    -And certainly there is fear to the things, for example, to meet someone for the first time in a long while seems frightening to me. For the first time (to meet someone for the first time) also.
    - But eventually there is something enjoyable. But not "entertaining", maybe.

    But I agree with the general sentiments of this stolen comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's true, and I'm sad, knowing I resent the pleasure of what I can't, it's impossible, I want a deadline of life that would work maybe, better than nothing I suppose

    ReplyDelete